By Middle East correspondent Sophie McNeill
A Palestinian journalist detained by Israel and on a hunger strike for over two months is reportedly close to death.
Mohammed al-Qiq, a 33-year-old correspondent for Saudi Arabia’s Almajd TV network, was arrested on November 21 last year at his home in the town of Ramallah in the occupied West Bank.
The father-of-one is being held under Israel’s administrative detention law, which allows suspects to be jailed for renewable six-month periods without trial or charge.
The journalist has been refusing food to protest his imprisonment since November 25.
On Wednesday, the European Union said it was “especially concerned” about his deteriorating health.
Shin Bet, the Israeli domestic security service, told Israeli media al-Qiq was arrested for “terror activity” as part of the militant group Hamas, which controls the Gaza Strip.
His wife told the ABC that her husband was involved with Hamas youth while he was at university, but rejected the notion he was a member of the Palestinian armed group.
Amnesty International has called for al-Qiq to be put on trial or immediately released.
The journalist was previously arrested by Israel in 2008, 2004 and 2003 for reported “Hamas-related” activities.